Monday, May 03, 2010

Tree of Life - A Work in Progress





I've been itching to use a large 24"x30" canvas with a failed sketch idea on it and wanted something to hang in my bedroom that would be calming and meaningful. I opted to paint my own rendition of a tree of life, all gnarled, with many branches and it's rootwork visible below the ground.

This is my first go at a large scale acrylic painting in almost 10 years, so I thought I would share my progress here with all of you. I'd say I'm not even a 3rd of the way done. I want to blend more blues into the sky, I'm only about 1/4 of the way done with the bark work and then there's that pesky underground, which I'm unsure how I'll tackle. All black? Black and dark brown? Mottled black around the edges fading to grey towards the center?

Any and all thought and ideas are welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Keep us posted! I would be careful with Black....there are those that argue it isn't a colour (tripe) and that it shouldn't even be on your canvas...again tripe but it does need caution....it took an abstract of a Blackbird for me to use it liberally......Pair of Blackbirds
    Anyone who has dug a few feet will probably met two types of soil....top soil gives way to other things sometimes like clay, that can be reddish, or grey...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you may be right about not using too much on the canvas. I'm still working away on the tree bark, so it'll be a bit. I'm thinking a small brush with dabs of brownish red and greys to make a mottled earth...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danni...how about having something "unreal" under the Earth?
    When I first saw your picture...it reminded me of Odin's World Tree...
    Also...how about putting all of the critters in?
    Or are you going for more abstract stuff...?

    (I would have to put some some Fae in there...but you know I can't resist them! )

    I love it so far, anyway...but then...I love trees so you have made me very happy there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting PAN and for leaving a comment!