Monday, April 12, 2010

Watercolor, a new medium

The Celtic God, Lugh. 6"x6" watercolor.

For as long as I've been working in two dimensions I have clung to pencils and charcoals, preferring to work up the shadows and blend with the my fingers, or if the piece was large enough, the side of my hand. The times you could find me with gray smudges across my face and up and down my arms were countless.

In college I had a short lived, but still passionate, fling with acrylics, but I found myself still drawn to the more dusty mediums I'd grown up with. I continued in this fashion until I discovered the wonder of mixed media art journalling over a year ago and began to work with watercolors. At first the watercolors served only as semi transparent background color that allowed text and other elements to show through but they slowly began to appear on the pages as focal points and figures. My first painting where watercolor was the star of the show was a journal page depicting Artemis, the Greek goddess of the hunt and the story of the constellation Orion:





Since that painting, my affection for watercolor has grown. I still consider myself a novice and am constantly trying out new techniques and ideas. Most of my watercolor art has revolved around mythology thus far, but I am looking forward to expanding into landscapes and plant life. Now, if I could just get the hang of leaf cover and water... I suppose I'll just have to keep practicing.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting use of a book page Danielle! Apart from school where watercolours were the only paint provided my use of water colours has been to illustrate, or do birds, this was in the 1980 & 90's, my medium now is almost always acrylic on canvas.
    That said a request to illustrate a series of children's stories (yet to be published) had me return a while and here is the one picture I retained for myself... Alina, the Rainbow Sailboat
    Nice work you do by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danni...you have made my day...
    Not only for posting something...but for your work...
    My daughter is called Artemis...so I'm doubly happy!

    I love watercolour...I've just been doing another faery...

    I think it is a hard medium to learn...but it's so gorgeous when you do...and so versatile too...

    I love your pictures sweetheart :0)!
    BB
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the book painting... Interesting how either could be the focal point... yet both draw you to them...

    lovely

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting PAN and for leaving a comment!